Thursday, November 5, 2009

mixing it up

hi, ladies! i'm hjscott, a newbie on the nest, so you probably don't know me yet. i feel like i could have written so many of these posts.

i've been wanting to lose weight to feel good about myself for at least the past two years. it finally clicked about a month ago, after reading practically every diet/nutrition book ever written, that in order to see results, i need to take some action. i think i was relying on osmosis before that. :)

in the past i've tended to "punish" myself with food, like "if i eat a brownie, then i must run an extra mile" or signing up to train for a half marathon to get myself in shape. all i ended up doing was burning myself out from activities i loved and making eating un-enjoyable.

i've decided that the best way for me to stick with an exercise program is to mix things up with a variety of activities i enjoy. i printed off a calendar and selected days for dancing, running, pilates, and strength training - plus one day to rest. so far this has been working. (although it's only been 2 weeks. :) ) i really do think this will help me avoid "burning out" with too much, too fast.

i haven't started counting calories yet, but i have been reading labels and watching portion sizes. i'm starting slow, with a goal to lose one lb last week (met-yay!) and two lbs this week. until this stops working or i hit a plateau, i want to avoid tracking too much. it's just not enjoyable for me. but, it's nice to have it in my 'tool box' if i need it.

i'm really excited to have a group of girls to help me stay accountable!

No comments:

Post a Comment